The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) is a global not-for-profit organisation and serves a range of procurement and supply management professionals.
Horizon Business School is the leading business school in Nigeria offering CIPS programmes to students. Horizon Business School is accredited by Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply, United Kingdom.
As the world’s largest organisation dedicated to the supply chain, it has a global community of more than 200,000 in over 150 countries. With a mission is to “think global, be local,” CIPS is considered the voice of the profession. CIPS is recognised an important force in the supply chain world. Helping businesses to control their spend, the company affirms that even small cost reductions can have a major impact on their bottom line.
CIPS qualifications provide best practice education programmes for the procurement and supply profession. Each qualification is a vocationally related qualiﬁcation, accredited by the Office of Qualiﬁcations and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in the UK and appears on the Register of Regulated Qualiﬁcations.
CIPS can help improve procurement in organisations through:
• Developing people – CIPS helps to drive efficient, capable teams to deliver the most value from your supplier base.
• Improving performance – CIPS can evaluate and accelerate the performance of companies’ procurement and supply functions.
• Source responsibly – Guard against reputational damage by stamping out slavery and corruption and embedding ethical practices.
• Recruit the best – Work with CIPS to bring fresh talent into the business.
Joining the CIPS programme at Horizon Business School
Before you start your studies, join Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply global community as a student member and register as a student of Horizon Business School.
CIPS membership fee is £104 and registration as a student of Horizon Business School is forty thousand naira only. Horizon Business School training fees is forty five thousand naira per module for local Nigerian students.
Joining a CIPS qualification programme means you will join the largest Institute in the world for those working in procurement and supply. You can join as a member online or by downloading a membership form from CIPS website: www.cips.org.
To take any CIPS examination or assessment your membership must be current.
By introducing computer based exams (CBE), you will now have six opportunities per year to take exams, giving you more opportunities to succeed. CIPS examinations will now be available globally in:
The Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS), United Kingdom is the dynamic champion driving the global procurement and supply management profession. CIPS has developed partnerships with the United Nations, the British Government and multinational organisations.
Horizon Business School is the leading provider of Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply programmes in Nigeria with study centres at Owerri, Lagos, and Abuja.
Horizon Business School offers the following CIPS programmes:
Diploma Level 4 – Diploma in procurement and supply is composed of 8 mandatory modules:
• Scope and influence of procurement and supply (12 credits, 3h exam)
• Defining business needs (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Commercial contracting (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Ethical and responsible sourcing (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Commercial negotiation (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Supplier relationships (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Whole life asset management (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Procurement and supply practice (12 credits, 3hexam)
It is expected to be needed a total of 600 hours in order to fully complete the syllabus and be prepared for the examination.
Who Should Consider This Level?
• Buyer / Senior Buyer / Chief Buyer
• Procurement Officer/Executive
• Category Manager/Contract Manager/Sourcing Manager
• Supply Chain Analyst/Executive
• Purchasing Executive/Purchasing Manager
• Supply Chain Manager/Logistics Manager
• Commercial/Supply Chain Director/Head of Procurement
Courses Contents & Units
The Diploma course comprises 8 Core Modules, which are delivered using a blend of group interaction, case studies and role plays. We have clear objectives to ensure students are able to relate the learning to workplace situations and then deploy the best practice techniques in their job role.
CORE MODULES (Complete all 8 core modules)
L4M1 Scope & Influence of Procurement & Supply
Understand added value strategies that can be achieved through procurement and supply. Understand the key steps when procuring goods & services. Analyse the key aspects of organisational infrastructure which shape the scope of procurement. The need for compliance when undertaking procurement activities.
L4M2 Defining Business Need
Understand how to devise a business case when sourcing. Understand market management in procurement & supply. The use of specifications in procurement & supply
L4M3 Commercial Contracting
Understand the legal issues that relate to the formation of contracts. Specifications and key performance indicators that are included in contracts and key clauses when contracting with suppliers.
L4M4 Ethical and Responsible Sourcing
Options for sourcing from suppliers. Sourcing processes and the analysis of potential external suppliers. Compliance issues when sourcing and understanding ethical & responsible sourcing.
L4M5 Commercial Negotiation
Key approaches and strategies in the negotiation of commercial agreements with suppliers. How to prepare for negotiations, stages of negotiation and how commercial negotiations should be undertaken.
L4M6 Supplier Relationships
Understand the dynamics of relationships in supply chains and when to partner. Processes and procedures for successful working with stakeholders. The concept of partnering.
L4M7 Whole Life Asset Management
Methods for the storage and movement of inventory (stock). The key elements of inventory control and the concept of through life cost
L4M8 Procurement & Supply in Practice
Students have to demonstrate the application of the procurement cycle. Demonstrate the application of the key stages of the sourcing process, the application of whole life asset management and the application of ethical and responsible sourcing in the organisation.
Open entry for students who wish to start a career in procurement and supply chain
Candidates should have at least 2 years’ experience in an operational or managerial procurement role, or in a purchasing, supply chain or commercial environment.
Alternatively, you should have a degree or have successfully completed the Level 2 Certificate & Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Procurement & Supply.
Advanced Diploma Level 5 – Advanced Diploma in procurement and supply
This level consists of5 mandatory modules:
• Managing teams and individuals (12 credits, 3hexam)
• Advanced contract and financial management (12 credits, 3h exam)
• Managing supply chain risk (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Managing contractual risk (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Managing ethical procurement and supply (6 credits, 2h exam)
and 3 elective modules (18credits):
• Category management (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Advanced negotiation (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Achieving competitive advantage through the supply chain(6 credits, 2hexam)
• Project and change management (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Operations management (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Logistics management (6 credits, 2hexam)
You will need to have studied the CIPS Level 4 Diploma in Procurement & Supply.
Professional Diploma Level 6 – Professional Diploma in procurement and supply is composed of4 mandatory modules:
• Strategic ethical leadership (12 credits, 3hexam)
• Global commercial strategy (12 credits, 3hexam)
• Global strategic supply chain management (12 credits, 3hexam)
• Future Strategic challenges for the profession (6 credits, 2h exam)
and 3 elective modules (18 credits):
• Strategic programme leadership (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Innovation in procurement and supply (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Commercial data management (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Supply network design (6 credits, 2hexam)
• Global logistics strategy (6 credits, 2hexam)
You will need to have achieved the CIPS Level 5 Advanced Diploma in Procurement & Supply.
How to Register
For more information on enrolling onto the range of CIPS programmes, please contact Horizon Business School
Main Study Centre
+234.812.388.2947 (WhatsApp Only)
13 Edede Street, Owerri, Imo State, 460261, Nigeria.
Satellite Study Centres
Horizon Business School (Lagos),
2nd Floor, LCCI Building,
Plot 10 Dr Nurudeen Olowopopo Avenue,
CBD Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria
Horizon Business School – Abuja,
6A Embu Close, off Aminu Kano Crescent,
Wuse 2 FCT Abuja, Nigeria